Friday 5 October 2012

Fine Spinning


Wednesday was a special day as I was going to have a long awaited ‘fine’ spinning lesson with Margaret. We had corresponded some time previously about my love of fine spinning – I learned to spin on Shetland and my aim in learning to spin was to produce my own fine yarn for knitting lace. I have knitted several items including a special large stole that I was able to take with me for this day. I was very excited and nervous as this had been planned for a long time. I gained so much during my session with Margaret. Having chatted about me and my wool related interests Margaret got me to spin. Then I got lots of constructive comments and the reasons for the comments. As a teacher myself I like to think this is the mark of a truly talented teacher – to take the student on from where they are. I had a marvellous time learning and talking to Margaret. She is a remarkable woman and the time went too fast. I am very grateful to her for finding the time to help me. I was given ‘homework’ – to go and practise what I had learnt and we arranged for me to return before I left the area to show her how I had progressed. No pressure!
From the left: my Shetland fine spun - Sewing Thread - A hair (mine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment