Friday 16 November 2012

Shetland Museum once more


Only 2 more days in Shetland so we made the most of it. We left the chalet( reluctantly) and drove into Lerwick. It was a chance to call at the Tourist Office and treat myself to a Sheep poster showing Markings in Shetland Sheep – 63 different pictures of sheep with close ups of their heads.
Then it was on to the museum with the first stop at Hay's Dock coffee shop for what Michael announced was the best warm scone jam & butter he had had in ages. I went on the very informative museum tour after which we met Barbara in the restaurant for a superb lunch. It was great to catch up with Barbara and we hope to meet again next year.
I could write a whole posting (or blog even) about the museum but just look at this for an example of the attention to detail in the restaurant.

Inset into each table in the restaurant is a sample of textile work by a local artist, designer or Shetland College student. This is the work of Elizabeth Johnson who first taught me to spin – apologies for the glare of the sun!

Time was passing so it was a quick trip to Jamieson and Smith for superfine tops - 500g should see me thorough for a few years AND a lovely fleece which I chose myself from the fleece store - so exciting. What a great shop this is.
Then a scenic drive to Eshaness and our last might on Shetland at Braewick campsite with superb views. I am stopping myself getting sad by planning what I can do throughout the year that is Shetland inspired before we return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment